Teething Symptoms - What to look for and how to treat
We have been surrounded by new babies here at BC HQ... and they have all hit the 3 to 4 month mark and those teeth are starting to make an appearance.
So, how do you know when baby is teething? Well, from personal experience babies start to show the following symptoms*:
- Irritable and crying
- Red cheeks
- Hand in mouth
- Diarrhea - followed by nappy rash
- Disturbed sleep
- Poor appetite
- Tugging at ears
Some babies show all of the symptoms, others not so much. Some babies you have no idea they have a tooth until you see the little white dot in their gums. Some babies may have these symptoms for months before any teeth appear.
So, how can we help our teething babies through this difficult time. Some tips below:
- Frozen face washer that baby can suck on
- Bubba Chew Teethers - place in the freezer or iced water for extra relief
- Panadol or Nurofen can assist when baby is very irritable
- Sudocream for nappy rash - we swear by it!
- A bib to catch the dribble - we love our Bubba Chew muslin XO bibs because they are soft, lightweight and easy to wear.
- Rubbing your finger on the tender gums can assist - especially when you have a teething gel from the pharmacist that can assist in numbing the pain
We hope these teething tips are of some help... and we hope the teething phase passes quickly for you and bub.
*The above listed symptoms can be caused by other illnesses, always seek medical attention if you are unsure.